It’s a hectic world out there. With deadlines to meet, bills to pay and loved ones to care for, some level of concern is natural. Unfortunately, when a normal response to the stresses of life takes on a life of its own, you could be dealing with anxiety disorder.
Debilitating apprehension normally takes one of five distinct forms. These include:
– Generalized anxiety disorder. Affecting nearly 7 million people in the U.S.A. alone, GAD’s free-floating sense of foreboding can affect nearly every aspect of daily living.
– Obsessive-compulsive disorder. In a subconscious attempt to deal with underlying anxieties, sufferers of OCD feel compelled to perform meaningless repetitive actions or senseless rituals.
– Post-traumatic stress disorder. This common complaint of war-zone veterans can affect anyone who has undergone a traumatic life experience. PTSD symptoms include frightening flashbacks, exaggerated startle reactions and a general loss of interest in life.
– Panic disorder. Unexpected episodes of rapid heartbeat, vertigo, sweating palms and a sense of impending doom characterize this often-crippling form of anxiety disorder. Desperate to avoid potential triggers, many sufferers become housebound.
– Social phobia. This disorder results when a fear of being constantly judged morphs from a dread of group events to an eventual avoidance of all social contact.
The good news is that no one needs to suffer. Anxiety disorders are treatable, and a qualified Queens NY therapist can help. With a bit of the proper attention, you might just get your life back.